ORIYA NARI MESSAGE BOARD

THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A PART OF THE PARENT SITE AT ORIYANARI.COM

To read the contents of a message please click on the topics under 'subject' after going to the forum area. If you wish to add your comments on the subject being discussed, click on the Reply tab after opening the message. You may also start a new discussion on any topic by clicking on the New Topic tab appearing in the forum area. When you are in the 'Open Forum' and trying to post something there is no need to login if you are not a member; just write your own name in the space for User Name. The members however should login before posting any message.

If the name of any user appears in blue colour with an underline, it indicates that she is a registered member. The profile of such a member can be viewed only by another member.

Only women are allowed to participate in the discussions. Messages suspected to be posted by men will be deleted. Membership registration in 'Inner Forum' is allowed only to women who are interested in the Oriya (Odia) community. This is a clean Message Board. Decent language should be used in the messages. Indecent or offensive message if any, will be deleted when the same is brought to our notice. To contact us please send your mails to oriyanari@yahoo.co.in

Register Calendar New Posts

Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.

Author Comment

Suchitra Das
Hello Odia Naari Team,

I have a question about Odia food. I am very confused.

Whenever I prepare Odia food and serve it to my non-Odia friends, or Bengali friends, they always say, "Isn't this dish, or that preparation like Bengali food? " OR "Bengalis also make this dish too," whether it is a fish, poultry preparation, vegetarian dish, or a sweet. Its always "Oh, Odia food is like Bengali food." And I really don't have an explanation for that. It saddens me immensely that I am unable to defend my own beloved food, or convince with hard evidence of a cooking heritage because there is no proper cookbook on Odia cuisine ever published except Laxmi Parida's Purba: Feasts from the East. No one really knows much about food from the state of Orissa and equate most foods coming from the east as Bengali.

Frankly speaking, I am kind of tired of hearing this claim all the time about the Bengali-ness of Odia cuisine. I love Odia food and I consider it to be one-of-a-kind cuisine, which is healthy and non-artery clogging. The food is just awesome! The use of spices in  unique combinations and limited amount of oil or ghee, is something not to be found elsewhere in India, especially the sorisa masala, besara, and jeera masala. I haven't eaten pakhala bhata, and baked food (like patra-poda and patua - my grandmother used to make in kaatha-chulis) in any other Indian cuisine. Even the Macchha Jholo has been claimed by Bengalis! I have seen cooking shows here in the U.S. where Indian chefs have shown Chana Dali( the sweetened and spiced chana dal prepared in Odia marriages) and Kanika as Bengali food. And the sweets--oh don't even get me started on the sweets! Where evidence indicates otherwise, all sweets from the eastern region originates in West Bengal is the unanimous verdict.

Am I missing something here? As far as I know, Odia cuisine has its origins in the food prepared at Puri in The Lord Jagannatha Temple, and the food preparations in the temple is thousands of years old. So how is it that most Odia food we currently make is considered Bengali?

Please enlighten me. 

Regards,
Suchitra

Sunita

Sunita Sahu
Dear Suchitra

You are not the only one who has to defend odia cuisine. This is one of the most asked question by non-odia people. And  the reason is Odia cuisine is original cuisine and has its roots in Lord Jaganath temple. I can tell you one reason which i read somewhere on internet. In older times, rich thakurs from bengal used to hire Odia Brahmin cooks in their homes. They used to prepare delicious recipes which were relished by one and all. Slowly bengalis learnt these dishes and claimed them as their own. With migration, they took these dishes to all over the world. Whereas in Odisha, there are few people living outside odisha as compared to bengalis and they dont promote their culture as loudly as other people.

Maybe this is the reason many people dont know about Odia cuisine. If you ask about example, I can site example of kheer and rasagola which are offered as prasad in Puri. The preparation of all prasad items/bhog which are offered to lord are very old (thousand of years old, infact). In Puri, all bhog items are prepared from local ingredients. So , it can be said that our cuisine is authentic.
Suchitra Das
Dear Sunita,

Thank goodness Odia cuisine is authentic to Orissa! We can safely say that our food has its origins in the Jagannatha Temple of Puri(which is apparently the living proof of Odia cuisine). I think it is high time we reclaimed Odia food, and declared the heritage  of our cuisine which is more than a thousand years old. Every time an Odia recipe is posted on the internet or a cookbook is published, it makes sense to refer to its origins and authenticity. Citing facts that the temple culture, the amalgamation of Hindu-Buddhist-Jain-tribal religions and cultures, local ingredients, and minimum contact with cultures outside the region, enabled Odia food to remain largely uninfluenced and homogeneous. 

Since you mentioned Odia cooks being routinely employed by Bengali households, I vaguely remember my mother mentioning something about this many years ago. When I asked why Odias were not more vocal about it, she replied something similar to what you said. But that was then, and  this is now, with more Odias moving out of Orissa and living in different parts of India and abroad, more technology, I think we are in a better position to be as loud about our cuisine as other regions are about theirs. I have nothing against other Indian regional cuisine; I love to cook different cuisines because of new tastes, which in fact I do on a regular basis, like Marathi, Gujarati, Rajasthani, Goan, Madrasi, Malayali and even Kannadi. What really dismayed me was the fact that I have never seen  any cooking show, or website, whether it is Sanjeev Kapoor , Tarla Dalal, or any other famous chef in India, demonstrate a single Odia dish. Everyone knows about Puri, Konark, and Odissi but no one mentions the food. Is it because, after seeing the likeness to Bengali food, they have ignored it? Or just clubbed it as pan-Bengali cuisine whether it comes from Bihar, Assam or Orissa?  Like I said earlier, if there was a regional recipe shown about eastern India, it would be a dish that my mother  or grandmother usually makes, and referred to as a Bengali recipe... and I am like.. what???????? Odia food is being appropriated, and our culture doesn't even get a little credit for it. Instead our cuisine is a copycat of theirs! Unbelievable!

And then I come across this article and my worst fears came true. 

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2007-06-02/news/28381870_1_cookbook-bengalis-food

Thanks for resting some of my doubts and reaffirming my belief that Odia cuisine is originally Odia and authentic to the boot!

Ananya
I also immensely feel sad about this fact that our Bengali friends call rasagola as Bengali sweet. I think it's high time to fight back for our Original rasagola and authentic odia food. Once upon a time around the start of nineteenth century, Bengal tried to engulf Utkal's identity and claimed odia bhasha to be a derivative of Bengali language which was so untrue. At that time we had to fight against this and in 1936 we had our own state declared Utkal/ Odisha. But in this process we have lost our pride to them because we did not project ourselves or promoted our culture in front of the global arena.
Suchitra Das

In my opinion, Odias have every reason to take pride in Odia language, culture and tradition, and not lose their pride to anyone, anymore. What do we lack in terms of music, dance, art, architecture, literature, history, science, etc? We have as rich a culture as any other in India. I don’t see any reason, whatsoever, past, present or future, why we Odias shouldn’t feel pride in our culture. 

Here is some interesting information I came upon while doing some research on Odia literature. This cast doubts as to which language was actually a derivative of the other.

“John Beames, a British author and civil servant in British India who stayed for a considerable time in Orissa and worked for the survival of Oriya language quotes:

At a period when Oriya was already a fixed and settled language, Bengali did not exist. The Bengalis spoke a vast variety of corrupt forms of Eastern Hindi. It is not till quite recent times that we find anything that can with propriety be called a Bengali language.(Beams, Comparative Grammar of Four languages Vol I p. 119)

We may place the Hindi with its subsidiary forms Gujurati and Punjabi first fixing their rise and establishment as a modern language distinct from their previous existence as Prakrut till the 12th or m13th century. Oriya must have quite completed its transformation by the end of the 14th century. Bengali was no separate independent language but a maze of dialects without a distinct national or provincial type till the 17th or beginning of the 18th century. It was not till the gradual decay of the central Mohamedan power of Delhi enabled the provincial governors to assume an independent position that Bengali severed itself from Hindi and assumed characteristics which now vindicate for its right to be called a separate language.” (Beams Comparative Grammar of four languages, Vol I, p.120)” Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriya_language 

It is a matter of great pride for us that Fakir Mohan Senapati took up cudgels against Bengali hegemony, and reinstated the Odia language.

Jayadeva, the pride of Odisha is poet par excellence. I remember there was a huge controversy about his nativity, and when the Bengalis lost the debate they grudgingly acknowledged Jayadeva being Odia, and made a statement about Jayadeva belonging, after all, to the entire subcontinent. Then why was there a controversy at all?

Kabi Sarala Das was the first poet from Odisha, and the pioneer in re-rendering the  Sanskrit Mahabharata into Odiain the 15th century, and it was a rendering in verseunparalleledin any regional Indian language of that time.  Everyone knows that it wasn’t just a mere translation of the original, but an epic in its own right. Who else would have dared to thwart authority than an Odia. (Remember history, when the mighty Emperor Ashoka was astonished by the daring and resilience of the people of Kalinga. It changed his life forever). Heavily influenced by Sarala Das’s Mahabharata, poets from neighboring states followed suit from the 16th century onwards. 

One just has to look at a list of numerous Sahitya Akademi and Jnanpith Award winners in Odia Literature to understand the extent and reach of Odia Literature.

Sitakanta Mahapatra is not only a recipient of the Sahitya Akademi , but also, Jnanpith, Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan Awards for excellence in Odia Lierature. And now Pratibha Ray. The only thing lacking, are translations of our literature.

And Odissi? Who doesn’t know about Odissi? Thanks to Guru Kelucharan Mahapatra and many other gurus, Odissi is the most famous and sought after classical dance all ver the world! 

Odisha’s temples are marvels in terms of art, architecture and engineering and have withstood the test of time. Folk traditions, tribal art and culture,  a glorious maritime past, festivals and Jatra, textile, exquisite filigree ornaments, wood and stone carvings, wildlife reservations and a coastline of beautiful sandy beaches. 

What more proof/evidence do we need to feel proud of our language, culture, traditions and cuisine?  How can a culture that has cultivated an artistic, and an aesthetic sensibility over thousands of years, be lacking a culinary tradition? I don’t understand how anyone can just assume all foods from the east of India, comes from a Bengali kitchen, without once wondering how it is even possible. 

Questions about the authenticity of our cuisine has compelled me to read the social & cultural history of Odisha, I read that generations of Odias were brainwashed, and forced to denigrate their own language and culture by the erstwhile administration of the Bengal Presidency. Odias were constantly being told that their language is a corrupted language, by imposing the learning of Bengali language in Odia schools, to look down upon their own culture, and subscribe to a so called higher and superior language and culture ( my grandparents and parents generations experienced this). The legacy still lives on in one form or the other. Another huge reason is, the grinding poverty of the region, and the antipathy of successive rulers in the 18th , 19th  and 20th centuries, towards its development. 

And while officials of the Bengal Presidency were busy trying get rid of our language, they were the same time, systematically telling the world that Jayadeva is theirs, rasagola is theirs, Odia food is a copy of theirs, everything from the style of wearing our clothes to putting jhoti is theirs, and now even Lord Jagannath is theirs (yes, I heard that too!). 

We can’t just give the excuse that we were shy about advertising our food, not anymore. We have made great strides in every other field. Why not promote our cuisine? We can’t just sit back and allow what has been going on for so long to perpetuate further. Every time we allow someone taking credit for what is so quintessentially Odia, and not voicing our claims to our heritage, we are letting those people, who fought so hard to establish an Odia identity, down. 

So, we Odia sisters and Odias worldwide, should take a pledge to promote Odia cuisine and culture, via internet, books, television, and whenever we host dinners, or go for potlucks. Authentic Odia food items should be presented to our non-Odia friends. Make it a point to let all know that our food is authentically Odia in taste and temperament, because our history, culture, language, traditions are thousands of years old and has existed for a very long time and has acquired a distinctive quality of its own, and cannot be called similar to Bengali food. Actually, it is the other way round; Bengali food has been heavily influenced by Odia cuisine.  

I, for one, have already started doing what I need to do in order promote Odia cuisine. Whenever I invite friends for dinner, I always prepare Odia food and sweets. 

My own questions about, and experience with Odia cuisine for such a long time, and having this conversation has inspired me to compile a book of authentic Odia foods from ancient times till date. My request to all those who read this, is to help me find out everything about our food, and contribute any name of food item, any recipe, any sweets, whether they are from a city, town, village, or  the tribal belt. 

Thank you all. 

Ruby Sasmal
I by chance got to read this page and was very surprised to know that there are people who thought like me or have had similar kinds of experience with regards to Oriya Cuisine, its culture , the language, etc.

Though I agree, to everything that has been written on how Oriya cuisines, especially, have been redefined as an extension of Bengali Cuisine or rather a cuisine whose origin is from Bengal .....but I sincerely feel that this sorry state of affairs has been induced by Oriya's themselves.

I have witnessed a number of times when Oriyas shy away from speaking their mother tongue with their own Oriya friends, family , kith and kin,etc if are residing outside the state. They are willing to learn and master the foreign language but will not stick to being vocal in Oriya ! A bunch of Oriya's settled in Kolkatta, Bihar, etc are happily embracing their language, their customs and last but not the least their Cuisines too! So , how will the Oriya Cuisine survive under such negative environment????
We are the ones who have constantly pulled it back .....if we are organizing parties at home , we prefer all the Punjabi cuisines to adour  n of Bengali Cuisine or rather a cuisine whose origin is from Bengal .....but I sincerely feel that this sorry state of affairs has been induced by Oriya's themselves.

I have witnessed a number of times when Oriyas shy away from speaking their mother tongue with their own Oriya friends, family , kith and kin,etc if are residing outside the state. They are willing to learn and master the foreign language but will not stick to being vocal in Oriya ! A bunch of Oriya's settled in Kolkatta, Bihar, etc are happily embracing their language, their customs and last but not the least their Cuisines too! So , how will the Oriya Cuisine survive under such negative environment????
We are the ones who have constantly pulled it back .....if we are organizing parties at home , we prefer all the Punjabi cuisines to adorn the plates and palate....how many of us insist on pure Oriya food to be prepared and served by authentic Oriya chefs ????? I doubt if there will be even a hand full...

Its a big responsibility on all we Oriyas to bring forth our share of being proud to be an Oriya and celebrating Oriya Cuisines all over the World! Three Cheers to Oriya Cusines!

Unregistered
It is true that Oriyas have not projected themselves much in regard to their culture and language globally. But it seems that some people have more grudge against the Bengalis than feelings for the loss of Oriya culture. Sorry to say, but instead of speaking against the Bengalis if something is done to revive the glory of Oriya culture then it will be much better. Moreover, Bengalis have an established identity which they have flaunted. Even Oriyas can do that. Only thing needed is the love for the native culture. 
Suchitra Das
Dear Ruby,

I do have to disagree with you, when you say that all Odias are responsible for this situation. To label the entire Odia community as such, is a broad generalization. I have met many like-minded Odias who are extremely proud of who they are and where they come from. Think for a moment; if we Odias didn’t have any respect, or love  for our culture, would we still be existing now? Would our culture have endured for more than two thousand years if it wasn't for its people? Read any ancient text, and there will be a reference to Odra Desh, Kalinga, and Utkal. Would we have a distinct language, script, tradition, food, dance, art and architecture if it weren't for the love our culture? Not many cultures in the world can boast of a food tradition that has remained unbroken for thousands of years and influenced the region’s cuisine (yes, I am referring to Lord Jagannath’s Temple-Chhappana Bhoga).It’s the Odia people, right?There is no denying the fact that we, as a community, love and honor our culture. We just don’t know how to promote it, and therein lies our biggest fault. 

Instead, may we ask ourselves, “What have I done to promote Odia cuisine and culture?”  

I have been an NRO(dia) and NRI since my childhood. My family has lived all over India and abroad, and has been exposed to a multitude of cultures. There is nothing wrong in adapting because adaptation ensures survival. We have done so too, by learning the language of the places we have stayed in, and also learned how to make  food particular to the region because some of those foods can be very tasty. But it has not replaced our Odia traditions in any way. Odia language, customs, festivals, and food have been embedded in my upbringing, and I have been doing the same with my kids too. I am sure most Odias in India, and abroad are struggling with the same questions about their identity. There is a very strong Odia community in the US and it holds a majority of Odia festivals at community centers and temples. It’s just that their voices have to yet to be heard. The need of the moment is to help each other find that lost voice. The only way, in my opinion, is to take a second look at our rich cultural heritage and redefine ourselves as a community, and let the world know we are as culturally distinct as any other community in the world, using whatever means of mass communication is currently available to us. Like I said in my earlier posts, I am doing everything I can to make Odia cuisine known to the world.  Write about it, feed it, and announce it to all! Long live Odia ciusine!

As for the ones who have abandoned their Odia identity in favor of the culture they are currently living in, I feel only sorry for such people who, in their ignorance, don’t realize what a rich cultural tradition they come from, and what a profound heritage they are letting go off, because they think they are inferior to everyone else.  

Let us start by listing all the foods that are typically Odia food. Here are a few:

Please feel free to add to it.  

SWEETS: Chhena Poda, Rasagola, Khiri, Chhena Gajaa, Khirasagar, Rasaabali, Amalu, Khaja, Pheni, Lakhmibilas, Chhena Khaii, Labang lata, ( and I haven't even mentioned the sweets offered at the Jagannath Temple)....   

Rice: Kanika, Bhajaa Khechudi, Palau, Pakhala.... 

Dals, Curries and Fries: Dalma, Kolatha Dali, Channa Dali, Besara, Ghaanta, Chhena tarkari, Santulaa, Mahura, Maccha Chhencheda, Chuddchuda/Chadchadi, Alu-potala Rasa, Mangsa Kasa, Posto bara and alu-posto, tartakari, Maccha Jholo, Maacha Jhaal, Bhanda tarkari, Manja Tarkari, Panasa katha tarkari, kadali bara, Ghugni, Chingudi Kalia, Nadia Chingudi, Dahi-baigana, sujunachuin bhaja and tarkari, badi-chura, Ilisi maccha sukhua besara, chuna sukhua chhecha, chhatu besara...

Condiments: Khajuri Khata, sapuri khata, tomato khata... 

Baked food: patra poda, patua, poda pitha, biagan poda, jahni poda... 

Pitha: poda pitha, chhunchipatra, manda, arisa, bada/saru chakuli, enduri, chitau...

aparna
ahuri madhya acchi...
anna- ghee anna,

tarkari- saga-muga,chanasaga/mula saga/sajana saga/kakharoo saga kharada, saga dalma, bandhakobi-matar curry, panasa katha cheka bhaja, baigana/kadalimanja/bandhakobi/karada(made from bamboo)/nadia/kakharoo phoola adira pithau dia cheka bhaja,potala/ janhi postaka,chhatu bhaja,alu dum, buta/ sukha jhudunga manji / simba manji bhaja, badi santula, alu/ baigan bharta, ambula rai, dahi nadia pachedi,aambila,amrut bhanda-alu-bean-gajar-beat bhaja, phula badi/ kakharu badi/ lia badi bhaja, amba khata,ou khata, ambda khata, mula aambila, tandoor like dish with kalara / baigan(no nonveg used),dahi vendi, besan tarkari,bara/pakadi tarkari etc etc...

cakes & condiments- kakera, pakudi,alu chop,gaja,khira gaja, ata nimiki, panasa rasa gulgula,liya/ mudhi muan, chuda upma/chuda santula,chakuli,pheni,chhena gaja,balsa,chhena tadia,malpua,jhal mudhi,chuda kadamba, rasabali and many more

Madhuri2405

Madhuri Panda
I totally agree with Suchitra what ever she mentioned,Even i stay Outside but i am happy about my odia traditional,

"Are Odiya loke khai jananti".....Mandira  re chappan Bhogo aau Ghare chaha tiyana Naha bhaja kouthi miliba je, Odiya tradition re hin Miliba

Whenever i chat with my neighbours or Collegues at office i speak about our food and the way we do puja's...they listen and respect it also...infact my collegues love my lunch box what ever i take so i always make it a point to take a little more of what ever i pack,specially for my collegues.

So,  it is basically upto u how to present urself..if you want your tradition and culture to be respected it is you who have to represent yourself on behalf of our culture and let them know the specialities.

I am Proud to be Odiya,you should be too.
Dr. Prashun Guha
Dear Viewers, I am a bengali who was born and brought up in orissa. After having gone through the various posts lamenting the confusion and lack of recognition of the odiya cuisine, I would like to add my humble opinion that odiya food has a distinct taste and identity of its own. Unlike the typical bengali food I find odiya dishes to be subtler in flavour and far less oily yet it preserves the natural taste of the ingredients.Also the use of garlic is more commonplace in odiya cuisine than bengali cuisine. I can say so since I have had numerous oppurtunities to savour homemade odiya food as an invitee to my various friends' houses. Even the ubiquitous Rossogolla which typifies a bengali sweet has its roots in a place called Pahala on the Cuttack - Bhubaneshwar Highway. The Rasgulla was said to be simultaneously invented by the bawarchis of Nawab of Awadh.
        The only reason that I can think of people confusing bengali cuisine with oriya cuisine is because quite a lot of bengali dishes owe their origins to the Odiya cooks who worked in Bengali Households and due to the fact that bengal has a larger and more vociferous expatriate population. And yes I still miss the delicate flavours of Odiya Cuisine.
Romil Chakroborty
1st of all All these foods like dalma and watever chena poda besara n wat ever may b typical odhiya food. But hilsa  paturi and all and many more above mentioned cuisines are completely purely and totally bengali cuisines!! Odhiya pple dnt really have their own culture. Al they do is to gt jealous and back stab the bengalis, But all their so called "cuisines" are taken frm bengalis!! Hw cum hilsa be a food for odhiyas??? Hilsa is mostly and most popularly available in Bangladesh and frm where on earth the odhiya pple hv strtd to stay dere???!!!! Globally pple dnt even recognise "ODhiya" pple!!!! Outside bengal, they introduce thmslvs as "bengalis". Why is dat?? Simply cus they dnt or else cnt accpt their own culture!!! 
PPLE frm all over the world knws that "fish and rice" is a typical bengali food!! Why are thse odhiya pple are so jealous? Just cuz they cant popularise or create their own culture or cuisine?? . Just be happy with ur dalma and besara or what ever!!! dnt cum to compare with bengali cuisine!!
Raisa

After Hearing from Romil Chakroborty , truly i am feeling sad. I am not defending oriya food here because this has been done earlier on this same page by others. But the question she raised has pushed me to reply .... if you say oriyas don't have their identity / culture ....let me ask you why does your bengal beauties come to oriya film world to try their luck? Don't you guys have big hearts to give breakthrough to your girls? Then you tell me...how many oriya girls go to your industry for trying luck ? I love the food of bengal but never get into the matter of whose cuisine it is. And if you still want to know where oriyas are and what they are doing the whole world..better surf net.
No one is comparing bengalis with oriyas ..... we are happy with Pakhala which you call Panta Bhat.... whose cuisine it is?
Mamali Dash
Hey Romil Chakroborty,

I am not getting how can you be so proud of that culture which teaches you leg pulling, criticising other culture and people. I am sorry to say we Oriyas never do that. We give importance to our own culture but on the same note give equal respect to others. And if you want to know about what exactly Oriya people are, go and surf net that will give you some knowledge.

If you are telling some Oriyas hesitate to give their identity then I am sure they anyhow related to Bengolis....as it is not in our culture.

At last if you are a Bengoli, what are you doing in this Oriya Nari forum???

swati

swati
Hello ladies,

This topic is really interesting.

I want to shed some light on the same.

Having the proximity and advantage of being neighbours with the eastern counterpart West-Bengal and the southern counterpart, Andhra- pradesh, Orissa or truly Kalinga, as in the ancient world, was, and is always superior to every other Indian state, in matter of culture -tradition, and Cuisine. This is a state, that had the aura to even pull Asoka the great towards itself, a pride to rule and the dream of a thousand rulers.

Every region has their own distinctive food-style and preparation, that is unique and forms a part of their cultural heritage. We have the food culture that dates back to centuries old when Orissa was- KALINGA THE GREAT. I am providing a link beneath of the ancient map of India, when there were only two most powerful states, The Kalinga in the Eastern Ghats and the Magadha in the North. I do not visualise any other state, as powerful as these two Kingdoms.

http://www.google.co.in/imgres?imgurl=http://www.shareacafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Ancient-India-Map-Sixth-Century-BC-844x1024.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.shareacafe.com/ancient-india-map-sixth-century-bc/&h=1024&w=844&sz=229&tbnid=fMWkx7zNBiVj6M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=75&zoom=1&usg=__fmZkDXiRp5t5GPhCXlnhpttOCAk=&docid=EF1fyT20PL9PnM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4kxNUcnlNciPrgfcv4CwBg&ved=0CFIQ9QEwAw&dur=1

As famous as Andhra is for it's own distinctive style of preparation, the same lies with Odisha, namely us kalingas. Our cusine dates back to 1078 - 1148 CE, Our delicasies are Lord Jagannath's Favourites. the 56 or chappan bhog that is served to the Lord at the mandir, is a culminarion of century old traditions and cuisines, when other neighbouring states were infants at their cuisine by large. A link to Wikipedia, for ladies, who are not well-versed with the history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagannath_Temple,_Puri.

I came across some ammusing comments, to as,

1. We Odiyas are jealous of the counterparts.

2.We are ashamed of letting ourselves know as an Odia.

3. People all over the world, do not recognise Odia-culture and tradition.

yes... to some extent this is definitely very true.

We Odiyas, are a very secured lot. We want to stay together, and come back home to our region, when our worthy counterparts think and believe otherwise.

I would answer each one of the question rationally, without any bias.

1.We Odiyas are jealous of the counterparts: Counterparts, Who are they????? A king without a kingdom may not be called a ruler, but the blue-blood,will be that of a- KING of-course, there's no comparison with the slaves.

2..We are ashamed of letting ourselves know as an "Odia"- Is it?.....Oriyas are not ashamed to call themselves Indian, outside India, as our better counterparts do.

3. People all over the world, do not recognise Odia-culture and tradition: Helloooo, does Odissi dance ring a bell............ we Odiyas do not need to popularise our tradition and culture.  Insecured and dormant counterparts of Odisa needs to constantly keep on popularising..... you never know, when you will Vanish.

But Odiyas all over the world must take immediate action to imbibe few rules in to their day to day life, preferably to get noticed. They are:

1. Learn how to Show-off, even if you have nothing to eat at home, or 1 baingan to fry and serve 6 people.

2. Get valuable lessons from our worthy eastern counterparts about, Shirking responsibility and accepting The ADDA-CULTURE of gossiping.

3.Have a good knowledge of how to Divide and Rule, the perfect apeing of the British culture.

My list can go on..... and on..............

This topic should have had very healthy opinions and as a matter of fact, ladies with Good value education  should have opted to comment and posted their opinions. But, due to the low negligence of the Oriyanari team, opinions with low morality and unruly sentiments, of a few members have created a disturbing and debating atmosphere.

Ladies, this is forum for odiya ladies, who are traditionally sweet natured, soft- spoken and well-versed in handling matters of sensitivity. Please do not try to ruin this Oriyanari forum with brainless opinions of lower moral value. 

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST:

Love to one's own Motherland is  considered as a pride, but respecting others is a privilage, that is inculcated in every individual, by their family, upbringing , culture, education and social- responsibility.

Why do you think we Indians have been at the receiving ends, because, we do not co-operate with each-other, we do not respect each-other. After centuries of being ruled and looted, by the foreigners, still we have not learned a single lesson.

As every individual has something new to offer, same applies to every religion, state, country and continents. To co-exist we have to bond.

I respect Dr. Prasun Guhas' opinion.... and Oriya nari team too, must highlight her's as that has been the very best till date. Such Humble, simple way of presenting the facts, is highly commendable. Hats off Dr. Guha!

I hope, this would put an end to the overflowing comments and would like to wish all the readers Best of luck.

Diya Banerjee
Acc to Raisa, 
Talking about film industry huh???? WE the bengali girls dnt need to try our luck in "ollywood" Indusry, thing is that "Olly" pple need us to popularise their films!! Offcourse cuz they fnd us more beautiful and talented!!! Thts the reason!! N platform in ollywood is less compititive than tollywood only cuz whole world knws "Tollywood" is more popular and vast than "ollywood" N wat is "Ollywood"?? PPLE outside India dnt evn knw wat is "ollywood" The famous Director "Satyajit Ray" was an Oscar winner for his film "pather pachali" frm India.! hOw can u even compare Ollywood With Tollywood! Pple will laugh out their ass!! N panta bhat and pakhala isnt same!!! They taste different! We didnt steal ur so called ingredients of pakhala rice unlike u, u stole ingredients of hilsa paturi and many more!!
Acc to Mamali Dash
We dnt atleast steal the culture of others like odhiya pple!!! We are proud of wat we have!! Dnt need to steal anything unlike odhiyas!! The restuarent "Sholo ana odhiya" in bhubaneswar(so called temple city) serves bengali dishes inside like macher kalia,jhinge aloo posto,aloo bhaja, luchi, paturi, chingri malakari,macher matha diye mukh daal, sukto etc whch are typical bengali cuisines and evn the names are bengali. But wats the name of the restuarent?? "Sholo Ana Odhiya"!! Why?? If u guys are so proud!!! then why dnt they serve  "pakhala, dalma, besara,sago,khatta, macho, kukura kosha" and all??!!! 
n Ur telling our food as ur own creation, n u want us nt to comment?? So wat if it is an odhiya nari!! U dnt hv right to call our food as ur own!!! 
Acc to Swati, 
If you are dragging emperor Ashoka here, we wont lag behind, we can also refer to "Nawab shiraz ud doulah" and many others!!  If ur talking abt "Odhissi Dance" then we can also refer to "Robindra sangeet".But thing is dat frm where the hell on earth emperor, his dynasty and bla bla bla is cuming n the discussion of cuisines??!!! R u guys lacking points to argue against bengali foods??!! Nt getting anything to say abt it? So dragging all the other topics??!! N we dnt ned to surf net to knw abt bengalis and odhiyas, Cuz we dnt need to knw hw popular and powerful we are!! We dnt hv inferiority complex unlike odhiyas!! Odhiyas are always inferior to bengalis and it will always be!!!  accpt it!!  
Unregistered
Diya Banerjee who the hell are you ? 

Kukura kasha??? how was the taste...we Oriyas don't eat kukura, gai, ghusuri and all like u...
Unregistered
Diya Banerjee madam during your next visit to the city of temple (I know it will be very soon) go and ask for the identity of the owner of that restaurant Sholo ana odhiya…I am sure he / she is a bengoli and misusing our Oriya name. My best wishes for those people who are going inside that restaurant by seeing only the name plate. 

Go and check your fridge you will get 1 brinjal, 1 ladies finger and some pacha mach and all the family waiting for the food out of that.

Learn how to place your point politely rather than loosing your temper. It is that attitude of you Bengolis which gave a chance to the foeigners to get inside India. 

Wake up and live and let live…don't dare to compare with us.

don't put your nose others business  
SSanghamitra

Sanghamitra
And we are supposed to have unity in diversity and proud to be known as Indian globally .
Diya Banerjee
Miss/Mr Unnamed.. 
I m seriously sympathetic towards u !!!! Even u dnt hv the gut to display ur name!! Pocha maach??!! N chck out ur fridge!! Wat will u gt?? Sum veggies, and sum dal. N wat will u cook?? Dalma!! Lolz! wat does badipada pple eat?? "Mudi mangsha" LOLZZ!! I m seriously Sympathetic towards odhiya pple! N Being an odhiya, u dnt knw "Kukura" magsha! for ur kind info Odhiya pple call "Chicken" as "Kukuda" Any real odhiya who knw abt his on culture wud knw! But I guess like all of other odhiya pple, evn u dnt respct ur own tradition  and dats y, u guys dnt knw !! 
N wat are all the other dishes?? Samosa with ghugni! lolzz dahi bada with ghugni! Bonda with ghugni! any other varieties???!! Excpt ghugnis?? and whose dish is a ghugni?? I guess dats our's!! The bengali's! oh ya I frgt, Upma with ghugni!! n yaa even idli and sambar bada with ghugni! u pple combine the culture of south india and bengalis and call it as "odhiya" food! Atleast dnt be a hypocrit!
Manonita Ray
Diya don't you know the difference between Kukuda n kukura ?
Diya Banerjee
yess I know Miss Ray, dnt hv to tell me thrice and evn if is "R" Or "D". u SUD HV KNWN!!!
Manonita Ray
Diya even a single alphabet makes a great difference like Kukura means dog in Oriya and kukuda menas chicken...got it...so being a bengoli I am advising you please be aware of what you are writing . u know a lot about Odiya people it shows that you got an interest for them...Good keep it up....after all we are human being....
OriyaNariTeam

Super Moderators
Dear All,

We do not at all appreciate the way this discussion is going.

This Message Board was created as a platform for healthy debates, not for the kind of offensive comments posted by some of the participants here.

After all, we Oriyas and Bengalis are friendly neighbors, and are close to each other in terms of culture and identity. 

To our distress, we find that this discussion thread is being used by some participants to create acrimony between we two communities.

So, as a preventive measure, we hereby block the posting of any more messages in this thread. No further message can be posted here now onward.

Oriya Nari Team
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

OPEN FORUM         INNER FORUM        FACEBOOK

No registration or password is required for participation in the 'Open Forum'. Such a password, however, is necessary only in the 'Inner Forum'. After reading a message if you wish to add your comments on the subject, please click on the 'Reply' tab. You may also start a new discussion on any topic by clicking on the 'New Topic' tab appearing in the main area of the forum. In the 'Open Forum', if you are a not a member and wish to post a message then just write your own name in the space for user name. The members, however, are advised to login before posting any message in any forum. Only women are allowed to participate in the discussions. Men are requested not to post any messages here and also not to register as members.