ORIYA NARI MESSAGE BOARD

THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS A PART OF THE PARENT SITE AT ORIYANARI.COM

To read the contents of a message please click on the topics under 'subject' after going to the forum area. If you wish to add your comments on the subject being discussed, click on the Reply tab after opening the message. You may also start a new discussion on any topic by clicking on the New Topic tab appearing in the forum area. When you are in the 'Open Forum' and trying to post something there is no need to login if you are not a member; just write your own name in the space for User Name. The members however should login before posting any message.

If the name of any user appears in blue colour with an underline, it indicates that she is a registered member. The profile of such a member can be viewed only by another member.

Only women are allowed to participate in the discussions. Messages suspected to be posted by men will be deleted. Membership registration in 'Inner Forum' is allowed only to women who are interested in the Oriya (Odia) community. This is a clean Message Board. Decent language should be used in the messages. Indecent or offensive message if any, will be deleted when the same is brought to our notice. To contact us please send your mails to oriyanari@yahoo.co.in

Register Calendar New Posts

Author Comment

Sheetal

Famous oriya proverbs ku Mu janiba ku icha karuchi. Please give the proverb with the meaning.

Anasuya
Let me try a few proverbs at random and see if I remember them properly.

1. Tuchhaku ete, mudi naahin goda kachadu kete?  (There's no toe-ring on your toes, still why do you stamp your foot on the earth to invite others' attention?)  Why do you make so much of fuss to show off when you haven't acually got anything to show?

2. Tulasi dui patra ru baase. (One can sense the fragrance of Tulsi even when the first two tender leaves appear on the tiny plant at the beginning.)  True talent and merit of a person can be sensed even at the very early stage of childhood. 

3. Barsha Jeun ade, chhata sehi ade. (Turning the direction of the umbrella to save oneself, as the direction of falling rains goes on changing from time to time due to heavy winds.) . It's a selfish move - to change your stand and principles frequently to suit the changing times and derive benefit out of it.

4. Thakura ghare kie? Na mu kadali khai nahin. (A little boy secretly enters the temple at midnight to eat the banana prasad kept before the god. He manages to eat the bananas. At this point of time when the priest sleeping nearby hears some sound, wakes up and shouts: "Who's there?"  To this the boy in his hiding foolishly comes out with an instant reply: "No sir, I haven't eaten the bananas", and thus gets caught. The priest had just asked who was there, and he neither knew nor had asked who ate the bananas. But the boy impulsively admitted the crime on his own.) The guilty person foolishly and impulsively admits his own crime without even being asked and thus gets caught.

This much for today.

Thank you.

Ashima padhi

'mote jete marile matha mu sei darapoda katha'(u do whatever u can i won't change myself)

Sasmita

bojha upare nalita bida (Extra burden when there are already so much)

Nita
Hmmmmmmmm Oriya Proverb

Aachha kahibaa, kaahinki na kahibaaaaaaa
Jetebele aapana pachharuchhanti aame kemiti na kahi rahi paribu .....

1) Chaali na jaani baatara dosa. (Don't blame others when you don't know how to work)
2) Bhokilaa Kukura kaamude naahin (Barking dog seldom bites)
3) Gaan Kania Singani naki (Own belongings are not good even though u have better than others)
4) Gaan Parimala dhoba tutharu ()
5) Daase aaile mularu gaa (Start again from begining when new guest arrives- specially in case of any narration or presentation or story telling)
6) Phampaa mathiyara sabda besi (Empty vessel sounds much).
7) Bichhaa mantra na jaani saap gaatare haata deba (Don't rush into doing something until you know how to do it.)
8) Jaahaaku rakhibe ananta ki karipaare bala banta (Our destiny depends on God's will / Man proposes, God disposes)
9) Teeni tundare chheli kukura (majority wins)
10) Jeera ru seera bahara karibaa (Doing unnecessary jobs.)

Haau aaji paain etiki Thaau.

Baaki pachhare padhibaaaaaaa

Hela. Rahili
Namaskar

Snigdha Mishra
Couple more I heard frequently while growing up

Maain nuhe ki Gaai nuhe -- (paraphrasing) neither fish nor fowl.

Nedi guda kohinu ku bohi gala -- (paraphrasing) it is too late to do something now.

sasmita
1.Sapa bi mariba au lathi bi bhangibani(The work will be done without other's knowledge/benifit from both the side)
2.Teli mundare tela()
3.Pura ramayana sarila.pacharuchi kana na sita mai ki andira(did not understand anything after listning the whole story)

swagatika
"bhasi jauthilu majhi naire gotei anili tate,
thakara galare maunsa lagila jababa dauchhu mate?"

swayam
1.Ajaga ghaa dekhi hue nahi ki dekhei hue nai.
2.ja puaku sapa kamude se pala daudi ku dekhi dare
3. Bilei kapalaku sika chindila.
4.Ei kathaku na peli deli kalikataku.
5.aji thu ede paani padile tu habu kade?
 MAY be bahut aji pain.

ok thanks
Anwesha

NIKITI TAULA SANA BADAKU,  BHARI HUE JIE RAHE TALAKU.

Anwesha

JODA KU GHODA SARI NUHEN

Anasuya
Now I'm back with another:

Mankada hatare saligram - When I mention this proverb to my non-odia friends they get amused. Because I think they don't have an equivalent proverb in other languages. 
Anasuya
I would like to mention 3 proverbs that mean almost the same:

1. Dura parbata sundar.

2. Gaan kania singhani naaki.

3. Ganga nikate jete jane - ati parache apamane.

The sense of all these three can be summed up with this English proverb:

"The grass is always greener on the other side".
Monalisa
Hi,

This is a good site for every Oriya.

http://quote.odiasahitya.com/category_quotes.php?ID=1&page=1
swagatika
 hi all

basically we use all these proverbs. i heard smthng from my grandmother, "LUGA NA CHANDRAMUKHI, JIE PINDHILA SIE SUKHI." i found it very rare nd funny.
Baby

Samaste ta sabu lekhi sarileni..Tathapi mu lekhuchi.

1.Osada raaga re tatia  kamudiaba.
2.Ghusuri ku pachila kadali suhaye.
3.Jhintika maari bani poshiba.
4.Telia munda re tela.
5.Denga munda re thenga.
Shilpa
Very nice inputs.
Can someone compile all of them and give meanings + context? Some have this and some dont.
Minati
This is not exactly a proverb it is story about two SAUTUNI which my grand mother used to tell us which I never heard from anyone so far, so I just wanted to share this with you all.

One mosquito has 2 wives. He has to shuttle between his 2 wives. One day 1st wife told her SAUTUNI that, "DHANA (sweetly called husband as DHANA) JAICHHANTI BINA BAJAI, MO PAIN ANIBE RAKATA BOHI". Sautuni felt very jealous and immediately replied her back.."CHAT CHAPADA JEUTHI, DHANA DANTA NIKUTIBE SEITHI"...
saswati
one more from my Aai's (grand mother) famous dialogues,

andha pain bohile dasa jana nikima

literal meaning : when a blind man has to carry water he has to take help of 10 other people. Its better 1 person can carry that water.

My Aai uses it, when somebody else enters her kitchen do something and eventually asks her 100 questions, regarding where is this, where is that. She says its better, "I go & do it rather giving answers to 100 questions".

saswati
some more i remembered ;

1. chora mana ganthili re
2. godara kode jete made sete
3. kata ghaa re chuna deba
4. godarilo nija godaku ana
5. chaluni kahuchi chhunchi ku to dehare gote kana
6. mularu maipa nahin, pua na gopalia
7. hate mapi chakhande chaliba
8. bapa eiade gaba gachha, pua kahuchi mate chhai hauchi
9. jaha mana jede, ta prabhu sede
10. mana nirmal thile, gadia bi ganga

its hard to translate literally all of them, try to ask somebody in ur home (for them, who are not understanding) !!

Minati
"AKALE GAUDA PATHARA BOHILA" means when you accept something in your old age..I heard this in the context when an orthodox brahmin family accepted a very low caste bohu where the head of the family (F-in-law) never had food cooked by any other caste in his life time.
Subhashree

Pls find a comprehensive book on Oriya proverbs.. Hope this will be of help.

Attached Files
zip 01.zip (898.89 KB, 834 views)
zip 02.zip (863.45 KB, 424 views)
zip 03.zip (981.03 KB, 286 views)
zip 04.zip (856.30 KB, 249 views)
zip 05.zip (199.29 KB, 239 views)

soumya priyadarsini

the book you posted has a good collection of proverbs......but i find that opening the zip files is a long and tedious process.

Anasuya
I have one more. Am however not sure if we can call it a proverb.

Bhoke odia nidra Jaae.

(An Oriya person, rather prefers to sleep when hungry, instead of working hard to earn something.)

I have read it in some oriya magazines.
Minati
Yes Anasuya, it's a very unfortunate thing . But I don't think it is true anymore.That's the reason why  all of us are here in this group to make odias motivated and work hard.
Gone are those days Bhoke odia nidra Jaae.( May be I am not not 100% sure but with all of our efforts I am sure we can remove this concept from everyone's mind  soon).

Cheers Ladies...

kanya

Ei proverb ti sunibaku bhala laguchi but oriya lokanka pain lajjyakara.
kanya

Mrs Kanyakumari Behera
Chhadakhai ru gote proverb manepadila,ama sasu sabubele kahanti
       "thile chhadakhai,nathile kartikamasa"
Minati

Minati
Recently, I heard this proverb...which is not in that book.

Dukhi agare dukha kahile dukha adha jai
Sukhi agare dukha kahile muruki hasa pai.
kanya

Mrs Kanyakumari Behera
Minati,
   proverb ra tume bhala explain kari paruchha.Tuma sabu proverb re explain saha lekha achhi.
1)Tuchhaku ette,mudi nahin goda kachadu kete.

2)pls hasna mat.......aalo muturi soiba,tu ta muturi mun ta muturi hensha kahinpain dhoiba.

kanya

Mrs Kanyakumari Behera
Bujha nabujha padhiba "Geeta"
Ruchu naruchu khaiba pita.

Sunita

Sunita Sahu
well said kanya di

kanya

Mrs Kanyakumari Behera
ok thanku s...u...
Ananya
Bassiba thu kassiba bhala
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

OPEN FORUM         INNER FORUM        FACEBOOK

No registration or password is required for participation in the 'Open Forum'. Such a password, however, is necessary only in the 'Inner Forum'. After reading a message if you wish to add your comments on the subject, please click on the 'Reply' tab. You may also start a new discussion on any topic by clicking on the 'New Topic' tab appearing in the main area of the forum. In the 'Open Forum', if you are a not a member and wish to post a message then just write your own name in the space for user name. The members, however, are advised to login before posting any message in any forum. Only women are allowed to participate in the discussions. Men are requested not to post any messages here and also not to register as members.